Sunday, August 17, 2008

Sibling Rivalry...or Something

Well, since Chad now has a blog to chronicle his study abroad adventures, I figured I should have one, too.
I've never been good at keeping diaries. On my bookshelf now I have several diaries that I've kept at stages throughout the years, ranging from age five to about sixteen, I think. None of these diaries are full. I always thought it would be a wonderful thing to have diaries chronicling every day of my life, so that I could leave some sort to of legacy behind me. Unfortunately, I apparently do not have the patience for diary-writing. And to my utter dismay, most of the entries that I have managed to write are quite silly and embarass me when I read them over. If I ever reach my goal of ultimate fame and fortune, I will have to have them burned.
I've also written blogs in the past, also for very short periods of time. I wrote one on Myspace the last time I went to London, which was the summer of 2006, and I haven't written anything since. If you go to my Myspace now, the most recent blog entry will be from that trip. Then I started a LiveJournal account just this summer, wrote a few entries, and stopped. Maybe this one will work out for me, though, since so many people will be relying on it to make sure I haven't died or run off with a dashing British naval officer. Or pirate.

As some people may know, I had a bit of trouble getting my visa. There was a period of time when I didn't think I would get it in time for my August 20th departure. The pessimist in me decided that this would be a lovely time to have second thoughts about the whole going abroad idea, and I got more nervous by the day. Then my visa came, and now I can't wait to leave this country. The only trick is making sure I can fit everything in my suitcases.

I'm very lucky that I'm going to England with so many of my friends. We can even have mini Writing Center parties. Proofreading and Pints, anyone? But I have been thinking, lately, about how strange it will be to come back to Dickinson after being away for a year. Thank God for the internet, but, really, how will it be to see my friends after a year away? How much will I change in the next year? I mean, I've changed just over this summer. How much will they change? Will be we as close or will we have to work up to it again?
And what about the Writing Center? I freely admit to being a nerd when I say that the Writing Center comprised a good portion of my social life last year. And it was wonderful. I made so many friends and had such a good time in that environment...and it's the type of environment that changes every year. By the time I get back senior year, it will be completely different. I know it has to happen, but still...I'm nostalgic.

All of that aside, I'm very excited about all of the opprotunities I'm about to encounter. This will be a really good way for me to grow up and figure a few things out. This summer I've encountered a few things about myself that I want to fix, and England is going to be the place to do it. Wish me luck.

2 comments:

KamerosA said...

Well, clearly over the year are gone Dickinson will have become a robot distopia and we all will be androids. Or something to that effect... maybe we will just end up creating a small crater or something due to a "science experiment"... yeah... much more plausible!
I hope you keep this up; I look forward to seeing how the UK is. I really want to go there some time... I know its mean of me to wish it, but hopefully you won't make too many awesome friends who will keep you away from us!

Andrew said...

I kept a travel journal when I was in Germany 05-06 and it was one of the best things I did that year. Try and make a point of writing in it regularly; you'll love reading back over things and remembering little details.